The Lake Placid Camp and Conference Center property was part of 3,000 acres owned by Dr. Melvil Dewey, originator of the Dewey Decimal System used by libraries for more than a century. Dr. Dewey built his winter home and guest lodges on the site in the 1920's. Many famous people traveled to this beautiful resort to get out of winter weather and to enjoy Dewey's spectacular hospitality. The list of famous guests includes the Churchills, Fords, Hughes, Duponts and several movie stars and politicians. The two mansions, called Litl Loj and Live Oak, remain today as the center of this exciting resort. After Dewey's death in 1935, the site became a resort known as Southwinds and continued on for several years. In 1997 the Southern Florida District Church of the Nazarene acquired the center. Over the past years many new buildings have been built to host over 17 thousand guests per year. The center is open all year and can host up to 600 at a time. LPCCC is honored to continue Dr. Dewey's grand dream and vision for this jewel called Lake Placid Camp & Conference Center.